1. Low CPCs. If the traffic isn’t cheap, there will be no margins to exploit with arbitrage.
2. Sticky traffic. If it immediately bounces, it’s a bad traffic source. The more bounces, the lower your ad click conversion rate, and hence eroded margins.
3. Engaged traffic. Surviving the bounce is step 1. But the more pages the user visits, the greater potential that you close the deal on an ad click. This is a function of the quality of the network and the accuracy of the targeting.
4. Users that click ads. This should go without saying, but we’re going to say it anyway. If your traffic flow isn’t clicking your ads, it’s next to worthless to you in an arbitrage strategy.
5. No Bots. You don’t want ad networks that let bots sneak in and burn your ad budget up. Every false click is cash out of your account. If the bots get through, your arbitrage strategy will sink like a rock.
6. Geography. Location, location, location, am I right?! To get high CPCs you need to bring in traffic from “tier 1 countries.” But it doesn’t end there, so networks work best with English speaking countries while other have more of a global reach so make sure you choose one that is the right fit for you.
Here are our favorite 4 ad networks for buying arbitrage traffic
1. Facebook Ads – Facebook needs no introduction but it is worth noting that their mobile properties are a great place to buy traffic at more competitive CPCs.
2. Taboola – Much like Outbrain, Taboola has a large network of publisher partnerships where your content can appear. Taboola now has the largest content distribution network in the world, even though Outbrain has a larger reach across premium publishers. A list of Taboola’s premium publishing partners is below. Click “Learn More” to download the web’s most comprehensive guide on buying traffic through CDN’s.
3. Yahoo! Gemini – Yahoo Gemini is a traffic acquisition channel that buyers are using to acquire traffic. Think of it as Outbrain and Taboola but your content will show upas search and native ads and reach Yahoo’s audience on the Yahoo homepage and in the following Yahoo products: Mail, Mobile Search, News, Sports, Finance, Celebrity, Movies, TV, Music, Travel, Homes, Autos and My Yahoo.
4. Outbrain – Outbrain recommends your content on the web’s largest and most respected media properties, including CNN, People and ESPN, capturing your target audience’s attention to drive better results for your business. According to Comscore, Outbrain has the largest reach across the top 10,000 largest publishers.